JOY IN JULY
Summertime Fun & Strawberry Ice Cream
Some of you asked us to share fun summer activity ideas to do with kids during a pandemic, and we think we found a home run! Find your local strawberry farm and make something delicious together 😊! Scouring rows of strawberries and filling our baskets to the brim proved to be such a fun way to get out of the house, support local farmers and social distance at the same time.
When we got home, we found a strawberry ice cream recipe, and it was the perfect summer treat! Below is the recipe I adapted from the eggless strawberry ice cream recipe on All Recipes. If you have an ice cream maker, this whole process is much quicker. But if you do not have one, you can still make this ice cream! You’ll just need to prepare your sweet treat in advance. Give yourself at least 6-8 hours before you want to eat it. I alternated, mixing the ice cream with my mixer and freezing every 30 minutes until it has a creamy consistency.
Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Smash up two cups of strawberries in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine two cups of heavy cream and two cups of coconut milk (or whole milk) and whisk together.
- Add two teaspoons of vanilla extract to the milk.
- Add one cup of sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix.
- Add the mashed strawberries.
- Add five drops of natural red food coloring.
- Get a dark chocolate bar and a lemon zester and shave chocolate into your mix.
- Freeze and enjoy!!
Or, if you are local and don’t have time to pick your fruit and prepare it this month, order a pie from @buttermilkpieshop. In July, proceeds from the blackberry current pie go to @tennesseeallianceforkids.